It is a fact that keeping your car looks new does not require expensive equipment or even a professional detail shop. Polishing your car with the use of rotating wheel works by heating the clear coat until it softens into a viscous liquid that dissipates and fills in blemishes. In order for you to prevent permanent damage to the paint, the best thing that you need to do is to limit the method of polishing to once a year and at the same time wax your car every couple of months. If you want to polish your car properly and safely, it is very imperative that you are aware and familiar about the proper steps in doing it. Here, you will know and learn the simple and effective steps in cutting and polishing your car. Check these out:
- The first step to do is to start by washing your car by hand in a shaded area. It is very important to rinse your car thoroughly but don’t dry it. It is true that wheeling is a messy process, so it is highly recommended to cover items such as nearby walls, pets and other cars that you don’t want to clean afterward. It is also important to use softer polishing compounds and pads on dark-colored cars, as they are sensitive to swirl marks. Aggressive pads and compounds can be used on lighter hues.
- The next step to do is to place a slightly damp and clean pad on the polishing wheel and put a moderate amount of compound on the body panel. Then, spread the polish with the wheel, using a medium speed. The ultimate key in this step is to keep the spinning pad parallel to the surface of the car in order to avoid swirl marks. Apply stable pressure and work back and forth over the entire surface of the panel. As the paint becomes warm and the clear coat heats up, scratches will start to disappear. Once the water and compound are absorbed and thrown aside by the foam pad, the brightened finish will become visible. Move to the next panel and repeat the procedure. Make sure to keep the area wet and at the same time use enough polish for every panel.
- It is also necessary to rinse off the foam pad with a power washer or hose to prevent it from becoming gummed up or saturated with compound.
- Rinse and wash your car again by hand once finished, including the hood jambs, trunk and door. Dry thoroughly.
- It is a fact that applying a coat of wax to the paint helps swirl marks to cover up the remaining surface imperfections. Use the sander at a medium speed to spread the wax onto the vehicle in a back and forth motion with steady pressure. Leave enough waxy haze to be visible when dry.
- While the wax is drying, clean the other areas of your car such as interior and windows. Remove the wax with the use of microfiber towel, rags or bath towels. Apply touch-up paint to chips and any lingering scratches as needed. Move your car into sunlight for a final inspection.
With the steps stated above, you can be sure that your ride will have a like-new shine in just a matter of hours.